Tuesday 18 February 2014

People and Place: Assignment 5: Shoot 7

Shoot 7: Bryan, Writer, 15/02/2014

Location

The shoot took place in the education wing of the office building where Wrekin Writers meet each month.  Bryan lives some distance away so I did not visit his home.  I found an unused classroom and we worked there.

Poses

The first shot; reflector used to lighten shadow
Bryan brought various props.  Here he is searching for inspiration.  Not a very interesting or flattering shot.
This is a bit more like it.
Bryan's day job is as a scientist.  I asked him to write on the whiteboard
That's better.  I don't understand the joke, though.
At his laptop

Portrait.   
A very similar view
Bryan writes vampire novels.  He brought his own mug
And signed some of his books
Taken's his first novel.  He has a sequel in draft and has also collaborated on a novel.
Pensive.  Hands can be props too
Moody
I prefer this close-up 
Thoughtful, in spectacles

Lessons Learned

Hands can be props too.  Their use can be very expressive and look natural.
While one should have some kind of plan for every shoot, it should not restrict what you do; the best shots arise out of the situation and interaction with the model.  I was lucky in having a model who'd thought about the proces and was prepared.  He'd brought changes of clothing, which in the end I didn't use.

No comments:

Post a Comment