Thursday 30 January 2014

People and Place Assignment 5, Shoot 3

Shoot 3: Simon, writer, 29/01/2014


Simon Whaley is a talented writer and photographer, so taking his picture seems a little cheeky.  However he's very friendly and approachable, so I hope these don't offend him too much!

Location

I most of these pictures in his office.  He took me for a walk and I hoped to take some pictures in the countryside, since one of the topics on which he writes is the outdoors and walking.  However, I made the rookie mistake of believing the battery state on my camera, and negected to take a spare.  The weather was dull and drizzly, which is no excuse for not being properly equipped.

Poses

Portrait
 And in monochrome
 At his desk
 And close-up
 Simon's a landscape photographer, so his Mac wallpaper's suitable spectacular
 Even in monochrome
 I failed to take the expected outdoor photographs, but here's Simon, posting off another submission

 Simon's a teacher of writing too.  Here's a shot from a workshop a couple of weeks ago. 

Lessons Learned

Don't assume that the battery will last for just a few more shots: if you've got a charged spare, take it with you!
Pay attention to backgrounds.
Have a plan, or at least an idea of the views you're going to take, and seek variety.  I hope I've photographed Simon's 'best side'!

No comments:

Post a Comment