Wednesday 5 June 2013

Motion Blur

I'd not tried this seriously before.  Isn't it fun!

To get useful amounts of blur requires a longish exposure and movement across the sensor plane.  Movement is less easy to achieve when the subject is approaching or retreating.

Without a tripod - cumbersome and likely to cause an obstruction on the street - a stable horizontal or vertical platform is required.  I decided a table in the window of Shrewsbury coffee house would be ideal, but I had to hurry down Castle Gates to get ahead of these men in high-visibility clothing. Exposure 1/8 second.

I ordered a cappuchino and settled in ambush.
I like this apparently imminent collision outside the Bull's Head.  Shame about the foot of the man on the left, just cropped too much.  Exposure 1/25 second.

That's bettter.  An effect that I hadn't anticipated is that walking involves one leg keeping relatively still while the other moves.  Duh.
Here there are two images of the right leg of this fast walker, and the shadow of a third.
I'm very fond of that wonky window.

This girl texting caught my eye, and luckily a train had just come in to the station down the hill.  Exposures all .6 of a second.
 There's a reflection on the cafe window here, but unless one sees it in more than one shot (as here!), it's not obtrusive.

 Here, cropped, is my favourite. 
The walkers seem to be bustling aggressively up and the window reflection emphasises this, yet the texter calmly ignores them.

I learned a bit about setting up the camera for this work.  I used Live View to lock up the mirror and enable me to see what I was getting, switched to manual focus to reduce delay and movement.  I tried a remote shutter release, but discovered that the motion of the shutter rocked the camera, so I had to hold it down to the table when shooting, so I may as well press the shutter release myself.  Exposures ranged from 1/25 to .6 of a second, achieved with ISO 100 and apertures f22-f29.



1 comment:

  1. I achieved a lot of motion blur images on my walk yesterday. The landscape stayed still but all the huge black flies in the air were blurred! (Which actually makes them easier to see to clone them out.)

    Considering your exposures were between 1/25 and 0.6 you got a lot of blurring - I didn't think people moved that quickly!

    ReplyDelete