Sunday 2 September 2012

Photo Shoot for Shropshire Life

I've taken photographs informally at Shropshire Arts Society (SAS) events for a year or so now, and was pleased when I was asked to take photographs at the Official Opening and Preview of Art at Ford House, and exhibition of paintings and crafts donated by SAS members, in memory of Judy Townsend.

A couple of days before the event I had a phone call: could I take photographs for Shropshire Life magazine?  The two regular photographers were busy at opposite ends of the county but the society and social correspondent, Howard Franklin, hoped to put a double page spread in the magazine but needed photographs of suitable quality.  A bit nervously, I agreed.

It was interesting and instructive to photograph to order: head and shoulders, small groups rather than individuals or general views.  The first thing was to get a shot of the venue - or rather of the house of the venue's owners.  Howard selected groups to photograph, chose locations and took the names down: left to right, check spellings.  I did some direction and chatted to the models, more to put myself at ease.  He knew a lot of people and was able to distinguish the great and good from the hoi polloi - I'd have photographed the deputy mayor's chauffeur!

The location was the upper floor of an old brick-built barn, with exposed beams and whitewashed brick walls.  The paintings were hung all along the walls and illuminated by overhead tungsten lights.  Prominent paintings formed 'focal points' for groups.

The overhead lighting created problems because brows shadowed eyes, so I used fill-in on-camera flash for many shots, to get a little light in without flattening faces too much.  The light was stronger than normal room lighting, but even with ISO 800 and f3.5 - f4.5 (wide open on my 18-55 kit lens) I had speeds of 1/10 to 1/20 (down to 1/6 for some!).  I took 70-odd shots for a total of about 20 usable ones.  I don't yet know if any are good enough for Shropshire Life...

And I got to photograph actress Gabrielle Drake, who opened the event.




2 comments:

  1. Cool! Well done, i had no idea about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've received a mock-up of the double page spread, which uses twelve of my photographs. It's headed by a photograph Howard had me take first: a view of Ford House, the home of the hosts of the exhibition space. I much preferred my picture above of the barn it took place in it, but they're the experts: they know what the reader wants to see.

    ReplyDelete