Sunday 20 May 2012

Towards the first exercise with fill-in flash.

In the housekeeper's room at Dinewr Castle with a nice net curtain (never thought I'd say that!) to diffuse the sunlight.  Finding that juggling the variables needs a clear head.  All exposures with ISO 200, f5.6 aperture priority at about 50 mm on a 1.6 factor sensor. No explicit post-processing: RAW images using all the defaults on ACR.
This shot with 1/8 sec, is dark and unsharp.

1/8 sec, on-camera flash, is reasonably exposed but the exposure time's too long for me to hand-hold.

1/20 sec, exposure -2 stops, flash -1 stop, could have used full flash.  Why didn't I try it?

1/20 sec, exposure -2 stops, flash -2 stops, but the change of distance means the flash gives near-correct exposure.

Lessons learned:
Think and plan more about what I'm doing.
Only alter one variable at a time.  I should have ended up with semi-torso and ISO 200, f5.6, 1/20 sec, exposure -2 stops, full flash.
Distance has a big effect on flash (fall-off is inverse square of distance) and can be adjusted to get the desired exposure - with thought!
Need to do another shoot, simply to get the first exercise!

1 comment:

  1. This is great Mike, I shall learn from you! I'm not very technical so usually just point and press but this is interesting.

    ReplyDelete